Help with quail set up

Rooshens

Chirping
Jun 20, 2021
So, I want to give raising quail a try.
I have my pen (previously a chicken coop).
I have a 10x 10 run and attached indoor area. I have heard quail don't like ramps so can i just keep them in the 10x10?
I have netting to hang on the top.
What else do I need to get this going?
Chickens were just moved so can i just use the same ground cover? Obviously there will be chicken poop so I am not sure if that will be an issue.
I also have branches bunched to hide under and will add to this.

Anyone have experience with cold winters? I live in an area with hot summers and cold winters.

I would appreciate your advice or input on anything.

So, I want to give raising quail a try.
I have my pen (previously a chicken coop).
I have a 10x 10 run and attached indoor area. I have heard quail don't like ramps so can i just keep them in the 10x10?
I have netting to hang on the top.
What else do I need to get this going?
Chickens were just moved so can i just use the same ground cover? Obviously there will be chicken poop so I am not sure if that will be an issue.
I also have branches bunched to hide under and will add to this.

Anyone have experience with cold winters? I live in an area with hot summers and cold winters.

I would appreciate your advice or input on anything.
Quails can squish through some pretty small holes. Hardware clothe is the best for keeping them in. My quails do fine in winter, but their habitat needs to be dry. When moving the quail into their aviary (which used to be just flat land where the chickens explored), I cleaned out the entire thing, placed an apron around the aviary, and covered the entire thing with wood shavings and wood chips. So far, no diseases have struck. Another thing I want to point out is that quails have more predators than chickens, because they are so small, including squirrels.

Is your quail 10x10 tall? If they have a lot of room to fly at all, I recommend clipping one wing (only the primaries).

Quails can squish through some pretty small holes. Hardware clothe is the best for keeping them in. My quails do fine in winter, but their habitat needs to be dry. When moving the quail into their aviary (which used to be just flat land where the chickens explored), I cleaned out the entire thing, placed an apron around the aviary, and covered the entire thing with wood shavings and wood chips. So far, no diseases have struck. Another thing I want to point out is that quails have more predators than chickens, because they are so small, including squirrels.

Is your quail 10x10 tall? If they have a lot of room to fly at all, I recommend clipping one wing (only the primaries).
Thanks! My pen is a dog kennel 10x10 x 6 feet high. I have 1inch x 1inch 3 foot high wire fencing across bottom of kennel so assuming i need more at top? I also plan to cover the entire kennel.

The 10 x 10 area would be good for them. I agree with @Quaen about the hardware cloth, though. Not only will it keep the quail in, it will help keep predators out. Everything likes to eat quail.

I would recommend that you read some of the articles here, then ask any questions you still have.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.32/
Thanks! I honestly didn't know squirrels were predators. I know squirrels can get in this run (and know exactly where and how) so i can make a plan in advance to prevent that. Thanks for the tip and the link!!!

Thanks! I honestly didn't know squirrels were predators. I know squirrels can get in this run (and know exactly where and how) so i can make a plan in advance to prevent that. Thanks for the tip and the link!!!
Yeah, squirrels can kill for sport. 1x1 in. is still too large though...

Yeah, squirrels can kill for sport. 1x1 in. is still too large though...
So this won't work? 20210822_115643.jpg

Back
Top Bottom