Help with quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mssarah83, Jul 26, 2014.

1. mssarah83

mssarah83 New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    Not sure if this has been asked already or not and I apologize if it has but:

I have one california quail that is 4 weeks old. I am hatching more so I will have approximately 5 more newborn quails. Can I put them all together or do I need to keep them separated? If so, how long do you think is sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can't mix quail of different sizes because they are very aggressive to newcomers. You would need to wait until they are all the same size.

1 person likes this.
  3. MrBobWhite

MrBobWhite Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    paoli, indiana
    Yeah that wouldn't go well!

4. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Put some kind of partition in the brooder and ensure that both sides get some heat from the lamp. If u mix them the bigger ones might attack and injure the new hatchlings

1 person likes this.
  5. mssarah83

mssarah83 New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    Are they like chickens? Will they generally get somewhat used to each other and then sort out the pecking order if I partition them off. Together but separate? Maybe around 5 weeks I could assess the situation?

6. benjamin123

benjamin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    they will make a pecking order

7. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Four weeks is big difference in size for quail! They need to be about the same size. Do all introductions on neutral territory. Especially don't put the young ones in the older quail's cage. Once they have been together for a couple of days you can put them back into a former cage, it will be new territory by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by