Help With raising a Roo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WildCHILD400, Nov 18, 2017.

1. WildCHILD400

WildCHILD400 Songster

Jul 21, 2017
    I have three hens and one bantam Cochin frizzle who I'm 85% sure is a roo. I want to keep him because I took on ownership when pulling from the strait run bin (I know) just so cute. I don't want to eat punk'in and I live in a neighborhood. Does anyone know if those crow loudly and a lot? I planned on purchasing a no crow collar and sense he's a bantam do I have to worry about his Spurs and beating up my others? Will it effect my hens at all? Do I have to put him in a seperae cage at night? I figured if he tries to jump on my hens they'll beat him up because they're sassy and way bigger. Any tips or hints help thx!

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. mill-j

mill-j Songster

Aug 22, 2017
    Any rooster will crow! Bantams have a higher pitch and aren't quite as loud as full sized rooster. Our Roosters start crowing 4-5 am. of course there is a lot of competition :)

3. WildCHILD400

WildCHILD400 Songster

Jul 21, 2017
    Do the no crow collars work and will he become aggressive as he ages?

4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd suggest doing a search on no-crow collars. I have used them and I'd say they only cut the noise by about 50% which makes little difference if he's giving it the full beans whilst your neighbours are asleep.

I honestly think that you may be swimming against the tide in keeping him, if they are not allowed in your neighbourhood.

Your cockbird to female ratio could lead to overbreeding and feather loss, potential skin damage to your girls.

As for worrying about him being put in his place by older females - don't worry about that as it will teach him "good manners".

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    A friend tried keeping Roos, when the neighbors complained she tried keeping them in the garage, in a crate but they still crowed all though the sound got muffled. They were Serama (bantams), it got to be a hassle & she rehomed a bunch of them :(

6. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I had to rehome roosters who were who were supposed to be hens on 3 different occasions. During the winter they’ll crow at 6:30-7 but during the summer you’ll have problems. Take it from me the best thing to do would be to find him a good home before the health department comes knocking on your door because your neighbors didn’t talk to you and called them instead.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  7. mill-j

mill-j Songster

Aug 22, 2017
    It's sometimes hard to believe, but a rooster can occasionally be heard 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile. Some times even More!

8. WildCHILD400

WildCHILD400 Songster

Jul 21, 2017
    Darn thanks for the responses. Punk'in hasn't crowed yet but I plan on purchasing a no crow collar to try and keep her. i just feel bad because I chose to take Punk'in home so she was my responsibility and I feel like i'm abandoning Punk'in.:he:fl

9. flappychicken

flappychicken Chirping

Nov 16, 2017
    NH
    We accidentally got three roosters and we kept all of them they will crow when ever they like. And can become aggressive and protective very easily.

If your neighborhood does not like you keeping roos then you really should consider trying to re home him.

If you don't want to even think about re homing sometimes (so says a friend) you can get a permit to have him. I am not sure how this works or if this works. I have never had to do it. And things do very town to town, state to state. But I would look into it see if it's a thing where you live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: