Help with rat possible ear infection? Tumor?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ayeitsmeme, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ayeitsmeme

ayeitsmeme Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    North Carolina
    My female rat snowflake is going on 2 years old (November 4th she will be 2) and she recently started dropping weight, walking in a circle, head tilting and falling over very easily. She also has had a really runny eye and that being said she lives alone because she kept beating up on the other ladies, and she hasn't been cleaning one side very well the past I'd say month so we've been giving her baths every week or so. I never thought anything of it because she's just always been a dirtier rat and I figured without a buddy she couldn't clean that side of her back. The side she couldn't clean was the runny, rough looking eye.
    After I saw her last night when she looked so bad I figured I should start looking for what was wrong. I found that it could be anything from an ear infection to a pituitary tumor. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? We're trying to get up with a vet about it, but I wanted to see if anyone had any helpful advice. Thanks!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Two years is old for a rat. Frankly, I think a trip to the vet would be a waste of money, but that's me. She is probably reaching the end of her natural lifespan. Sorry.

3. ayeitsmeme

Mar 23, 2016
    North Carolina
    Yeah I see your point. I just wouldn't want to lose her if it was just a simple ear infection if there was a way to treat it cheaply with antibiotics. Honestly she's not a very high dollar rat (she was a saved from a snake and was I think a $6 dollar investment), that being said I'm not looking to put a lot into her she's lived a good long life but if there is anything that would help her that'd be nice. Rats are so rough when they go downhill there's so little you can do for them I hate it.

4. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    Rats get a bad rap but they make really excellent pets. I have had a few over the years. Mine never lived much longer than two years. My guess is that if you get this diagnosed and cured there will be something else. You might try some antibiotics and see what happens. An ear infection can affect her balance.

1 person likes this.
  5. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
  6. ayeitsmeme

Mar 23, 2016
    North Carolina
    Snow just got her first dose of antibiotics in a crushed banana. Hopefully she will start feeling a little better. We looked up the antibiotics and found that one we had for a dog was going to work and dosed it correctly. Have to say its nice to have a nurse in the family especially when the vet would be over 100 dollars.

7. DutchBunny03

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    Yup. My mom is a nurse, and has saved me and my rabbits several trips to the vet:).

8. ayeitsmeme

Mar 23, 2016
    North Carolina
    Snowflake is looking a lot better with just a few doses. Her bad eye has noticeably less discharge, still slightly head tilting but still much improved, and eating and drinking more than she was. Not back to where she was but she is feeling well enough to start climbing up the side of the cage a little bit and looking a little perkier. She's a tough old lady for sure!

9. DutchBunny03

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    Great!!

10. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    How is your rat doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by