1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with respiratory infectioN!! *video*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick1043, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Help!! Somone! In very EASY steps tell me what to do!! This isn't my chicken, but it sounds exactly like this! -

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    anyone):

3. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Poor baby. I am not quite sure how to help but to bump this along for you. I had a gal in July (4 months old) that sounded like that but got progressively worse. Ended up taking her to the ER Vet around 10 pm. I was told she was in critical condition. Her throat had swollen up and they gave her anti-inflammatory meds and kept her in an oxygen box over night. Dr. said she probably wasn't going to pull through. Phoebe proved them wrong.

This is when I decided to take her to the ER.

Phoebe today:
    [​IMG]

Good luck and I hope someone can help you with your gal.

4. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks..:)

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Would some vix in boiling water help a little bit? ):

6. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

is she coughing or sneezing? Can you put her up to your ear and listen to chest for gurgling or rattle? I use tylan 50 injectable in the neck for 3 to 5 days at 1/2 cc. or denagard is good too. Hope she is ok. Pen her seperate so others dont get it. By chance is she stretching her neck or yawning? if so might take a q tip and put it down the trhoat and swab and see if it comes out clean. If red with stringy worm like then its gape worm. im not a vet nor do I know what it is so I am just throwing this stuff up to you.

Quote:

7. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:
    Okay I separated her from the flock and over night she was completely fine! Is she better? Can I put her with the rest of the girls?

8. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

its hard to say?? By chance did you put new shavings in the coop? Maybe she has a reaction to that?
    Quote:
    Okay I separated her from the flock and over night she was completely fine! Is she better? Can I put her with the rest of the girls?

9. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Okay I separated her from the flock and over night she was completely fine! Is she better? Can I put her with the rest of the girls?

I did! Well, sorta... It just a different straw.. But I've had it in there for about a week or two

10. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Oh! and she was free-ranging when she started!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by