Help With Resqued Pekin Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pirtykitty, Jul 29, 2010.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Hubby and I went to Cameron Park this morning and discovered someone had recently dumped about 8 crested ducks ( pekin, rouen, mallard) These are still young ducks.. I had one of the crested female pekins come right up and eat from my hand.. We noticed she had a hurt leg as well as one of the others we couldn't catch. I have here in a seperate pen from my Two WHs.. She has mazuri, and some other goodies . plus a bucket with fresh water and some chopped grass.. also a rubbermaid tube for bathing..
    the older male ducks had already pulled her tail feathers and proably hurt her leg from trying to breed. She is maybe a few months old.. What else do I need to do.. I know I can't let her out till her leg is better..
    thank you

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good rescue!

I think you are doing well. A safe, quiet place, good food to eat, fresh water to drink and bathe in . . . I would watch her, make sure she improves with the rest. You might offer some vitamins as a boost to help her heal, but I think you have given her what she apparently needs now.

3. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Thank you Amiga.. I have the vitamins I used for the WH's when they were ducklings.. I also give it to them through out the year.. Stanley is going to be one happy camper when I get to turn her lose with him and Daisy.. Except they'd better be nice cause I think she's going to be just a tad bigger than them. LOL.. I thinking about naming her Dixie. Waiting to see what hubby comes up with.
    I went out a little while ago and I got to see her eating and drinking.. don't think she's eaten the chopped grass or the chopped cucumbers yet. I have them in water.. but stanley and daisy in a few days will show her the ropes. Her little puff on top is cute.

I wish someone could go out and get the rest of the young ones that were dumped.. I don't think they will fair as well as the ones who have been there a while.. theres a ton of drakes ( muscovy and other breeds_

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by