Help with RIR and Ameracauna

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenchichi, Jun 6, 2016.

1. chickenchichi

chickenchichi Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2016
    McDonough, GA
    Could anyone help identify the gender of these two, month-old chicks?
    [​IMG]
    This is our Rhode Island, they're very curious and brave and won't hesitate to jump on your lap, which leads me to believe they're a rooster.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Our Ameracauna is very shy and flighty and I don't see much of a comb, but their saddle and hackle feathers seem sort of pointy to me. It was hard to get a good picture of this one, but I can get more if I need to.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

It's way too young to tell with any certainty. Try back at 8-10 weeks for a more accurate response. For now, I'd guess the RIR is a cockerel and the Easter Egger (it's an EE, not an Ameraucana) is a pullet.

3. chickenchichi

May 15, 2016
    McDonough, GA
    We expected as much from the RIR, his red comb makes it hard to argue with. I'm a little confused about the EE, though. The woman we bought her from was a little confusing, and used both Easter Egger and Ameracauna when describing her, so I've been doing the same. What exactly is the difference?

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Ameraucanas are a pure breed. They are considered a rare breed and they are expensive. Easter Eggers are a multigenerational Ameraucana hybrid and very frequently missold as pure Ameraucanas.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

6. chickenchichi

May 15, 2016
    McDonough, GA
    Okay, thank you for the explanation, that clears it up for me! So basically they're "mostly Ameracauna, but not quite"

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Actually Ameraucanas are EEs that have been bred to look a certain way and to reach certain standards.

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by