Help with roos or hens - wyandottes & dominiques

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Urban Chick, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Urban Chick

Urban Chick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG]

New mama to the chicken world and loving it. I have done more research on chickens than I did in college! I found a breeder not far from where I live and now have 4 hens (hopefully). I know that one is a Salmon Favarollle hen but the other 3 (Delaware, Blue Wyandotte and Dominique) are undecided. I think the saddle feathers on the Wyandotte are looking like a roo but I'm not sure.

Here are a couple pictures of the other 3 - help me oh chicken friends.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Dominique and the Delaware facing off

The Delaware
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Our lovely Lucy - the only sure thing :)

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    all of them look like cockerels...how old are they (execpt for the last pic thats a pullet/hen)

the 1st pic is a splash there's no blue chickens in these pics

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

All boys except the last pic

4. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    I agree, you got a bunch of cockerels[​IMG] there except the last pic...the faverolle as you pointed out

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    All cockerels.

6. Urban Chick

Feb 3, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    No no - say it isn't so! So if that's the case and I find a home for the roos (because I live in the city and can't keep them) do I have any chance of adding a few known pullets to the flock (of one). Also since Spring is coming a nearby hardware store has day old chicks - could I possibly add those with the hen who is about 14 weeks now? Thanks everyone - I love this forum.

7. Urban Chick

Feb 3, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    They are 13-14 weeks old. Interesting about the splash. I was told it was a blue but never researched that further. It is such a pretty bird..and from what I've seen and ready about Wyandotte's they seem like a great breed for eggs and a calm personality.

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    well he is a blue splash. heres some blue dottes
    [​IMG]

9. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yes at that age they are all cockerel's. if you get baby chickens you will more than likely have to wait till they are at least 1.5 - 2 months maybe a little longer to put the new chicks in with the lone girl. bringing in known pullets i would quarantine them for at least a month before introduction to her, and slowly introduce them through the fence for at least a few weeks so they can see each other after that then let them go together. they will fight/scrabble over the pecking order until it is established as well just dont interfere unless it is absolutely necessary.

10. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    They all look like boys except for the red one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by