1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with roost for peas.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by lionkitty71, Mar 24, 2013.

1. lionkitty71

lionkitty71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Southeast Iowa
    I'm slowly building up my peacocks. I have now I acquired 4 a pair of pied.
    first question how high should a roost be for peas? Second question if we put a ledge on it would they lay their eggs up there? Where do peas usually like to lay?
    Psorry about all the questions just trying to get them situated and comfortable.

2. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    My roof rafters on the inside of my building are 9' up,my perches extend down 2' from these rafters so mine are 6-7' above the ground.Peas like height.they can see more of whats going on that way.I have all my perches placed allowing for the males long trains to hang unobstructed with room for them to be away from the walls.My hens will lay eggs while on the perch so putting a box under the perch may work. I'm not going to add a ledge tho,too many of mine lays eggs on the ground or in a hallowed out dirt bath hole they have made.

3. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I just wanted to add, make sure they have enough space to fly safely down from the roosts. The higher the roosts the more landing distance they need.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My girls always lay on the ground in the aviary. I found them a large shipping crate that I fixed up but they never used it. :/

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Mine are totally free ranged and i find they like to make their nest in the woods under brush or by a tree, i have read where a peahen layed and hatch her eggs on a roof before.
    [​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

This roost is 6 feet tall. I wish it were higher though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by