1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with Rooster Breed!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beckstar, Mar 7, 2012.

1. beckstar

beckstar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2011
    Delta, BC, Canada
    Name this Rooster! He is a rescue and he is a lovely man! I'm just getting into the chicken thing and I need help identifying his breed, he may even be a mix.

[​IMG]
    Here is "Dart" and a few of his RIR ladies. :)

I don't have a good side view but he has those lovely shimmery emerald green feathers on his sides and some in his tail feathers.
    Here's another pic:
    [​IMG]

And here are the pics of his first 3 babies hatched on March 5th! One yellow and two black with white under their little chins and chest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help! These are my first babies hatched in my incubator, happy and healthy! These ones are thriving way better than the group of shipped chicks (RIR's) I just picked up last weekend.

2. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    What color legs does he have? Yellow, pink, or green? What kind of comb does he have? It's kind of hard to tell from that pick.

3. whytedragon

whytedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    My guess..Ameraucana...Easter Egger.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We need a better pic. A nice profile shot including comb and legs.

5. beckstar

Dec 15, 2011
    Delta, BC, Canada
    Thanks guys! I will try to get up some better pics tomorrow!

6. asif

asif Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    I dnt know wt breed u r roster , but i wanna know what breed is these 2 red hens ?

7. beckstar

Dec 15, 2011
    Delta, BC, Canada
    The hens are Rhode Island Reds - they are awesome eggs layers and have great personalities! They are the only chickens we've had up until now - now we are expanding and have one Silkie, that Rooster, and the three mixed babies!

8. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    I am probably going to cause trouble but your hens are red sex links not RIR. . thry are known as , Cinnamon queens or golden comets. as for the rooster I couldn't begin to guess.

9. beckstar

Dec 15, 2011
    Delta, BC, Canada
    no, no trouble! These hens were purchased by a family member as RIRs for layers. They sure do their job!! Almost 6 eggs a week! Interesting tho, I just got in 20 RIR chicks, I wonder how different they will look!

I will post more pics of my Roo I took this morning.

10. asif

asif Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by