1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with Rooster Overmating One of the Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sarah3, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Sarah3

Sarah3 Out Of The Brooder

I have a flock of 19 chickens (17 hens and 2 roosters). The problem is that one of the roosters is over-mating with one of the hens. She is the hen who was top of the pecking order before we got roosters. Her back is getting very bare. I know part of the problem is that she is still resisting him, and I presume he is trying to make sure to establish dominance over her.

Should I just let it keep going and hope that she finally submits? I don't want to get rid of the roo; he is a good roo who protects the hens and calls them over for tasty treats. They have plenty of space to roam in a 25'X25' enclosure, but I don't currently have a way to separate her out from the rooster (in a few weeks once my new coop is built, I should be able to).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    You could get her a chicken saddle! It's a small piece of fabric with elastic "sleeves" that go around her wings to secure it to her back. A lot of people sell them, and if you know how to sew it'd probably be pretty easy to make one, too! Your rooster will still mate with her, but his spurs will not hurt her back. Good luck :)

3. Sarah3

Sarah3 Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for your response! I ordered a chicken saddle! Now I can no longer internally snicker when I see a dog wearing a sweater...[​IMG]

4. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Glad I could help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by