Help with Rooster!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mmwinget, Nov 30, 2010.

1. mmwinget

mmwinget Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Hi Everyone! I am by no means a chicken pro but I have 4 beauitful chickens whom I love. I live in Charlotte, NC and have them in a large coop. I hatched/raised them in the Spring. Being full grown now, I have discovered that I have 2 roosters. They are beautiful birds yet they are driving one of my poor hens crazy!!

I am to afraid to free range the birds due to so many predators (coyotes) in my area. I am having such a horrible time finding a safe, no-kill home for the roosters. The 2 roosters do actually get along but I feel terrible for my poor hen.

Does anyone have any advice? I am desperate! Also, anyone in the local area that would like 1 or 2 roosters?

Thanks so much!

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Yeah, the rooster/hen ratio is off. I would just get rid of 1. Post him of craigslist. And if you get really desperate you may just need to give it away "no questions asked" if you know what I mean. With two boys they will fight over the hens and cause them to be over bred. But with only one boy he will protect the flock so you can be at peace when it comes to free ranging.
    Hope it works out!

3. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Have you tried posting to your local Craigslist? There are tons of chickens listed on our local craigslist.

4. mmwinget

May 18, 2010
    I have thought about it, just worried about the new home enviroment. That's a great idea though, I will most likely do that. Thanks so much!

5. mmwinget

May 18, 2010
    Thanks so much. I agree.

6. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    I was actually able to rehome my two roosters- it was done by word of mouth. Check with your local feed store, hardware store, etc. It also helped that I sent a bag and a half of food along with them... they are now each enjoying their own flock of ladies. It was tough, but doable. Good luck!

7. Justuschicks

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    You can request that you deliver the roos so that you can make sure their home is suitable. I have seen that in listings on craigs.

8. kristim23

kristim23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    [​IMG]

You could also look/ask around in your area for a 4H group, sometimes kids are looking for project birds. That's my plan for next spring if I end up with any "accidental" roosters. Good luck!!

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    You can try Craigslist and a flyer at the feed store, and just specify to good home only. Make sure to mention their breed, age, and temperament.

For a quick fix, you may consider separating off one of the roosters or both of the hens.

10. Justuschicks

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    And "not for food". I see that in listing too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by