1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with roosting 'posts.'

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fshinggrl, May 7, 2009.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    OK, I heard that roosts should not be completely circular like a dowel for a closet. Did I hear correctly? If so, is the long side of a 2x4 a good alternative?

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Yup... Most people say to use a 2x4 with the x4 facing up. This is especially true for those in colder climates as it allows the birds to hunker down over their feet, which helps prevent frostbite. Either way, chickens don't roost by grasping with their talons. It's more of a balancing act.

3. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Thank you!!!

4. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    My pleasure... [​IMG]

Also, since we're on the subject of roosts and just to make sure you're aware... They need 10-12" board inches of roost space per bird, depending on the size of the breed.

5. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:So you are saying that I need about 12 feet of roosting space for my 13 chickens? That seems like a LOT!!! (forgive me, I'm still learning!)

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:So you are saying that I need about 12 feet of roosting space for my 13 chickens? That seems like a LOT!!! (forgive me, I'm still learning!)

I'm curious about this too. I have plenty of roosting room for my chickens and all 4 seem to scrunch together on a 2 foot roost.

7. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Mine is 4 ft wide built like a ladder with 5 rungs across which doesn't take up alot of space and can hold up to 20 birds. I used 8 ft 2x4's for the sides and the rungs or roosts.[​IMG]

8. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009

yes. one foot per bird. this way they can all crowd down to one end taking up apx 2 1/2 feet of roost. if you made the total roost 2 1/2 feet they would be quite upset. you see, it has to be their idea otherwise it's wrong. [​IMG]

9. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky

yes. one foot per bird. this way they can all crowd down to one end taking up apx 2 1/2 feet of roost. if you made the total roost 2 1/2 feet they would be quite upset. you see, it has to be their idea otherwise it's wrong. [​IMG]

LOL.. That's basically it... Gives them shuffling room, I guess, so they can easily get up onto the roosts and then compact themselves together. [​IMG]

You can get away with 8-10" though, for sure.

Far as setting up roost space, some people go with the ladder approach, some with two roosts parallel and 12" apart.

So if your coop is 6' wide, just need two 6' 2x4's set up like this, 12" apart and 12" from the wall.

----w-a-l-l---
    --r-o-o-s-t--
    --r-o-o-s-t--

10. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Ditto on the 2x4, wide side up--but to add to that--even better, round off the top two corner angles. This will conform best to the shape of their feet (not hurt when their feet cling to it). I have a friend who swears this has made his hens lay better, because they sleep sounder.

Another (cheaper) option, also works well, is to get some nice, straight hickory saplings, 3 to 4 inches in diameter. As the sapling dries, the bark becomes very, very hard and as the chickens walk on it, it even gets glossy. Easy to clean (or just replace). This is what I use. Other trees would probably be fine too, but I like the hickory for strength and the tight bark doesn't give mites a place to hide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by