Help with Rouen Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fordao, Feb 20, 2017.

1. fordao

fordao New Egg

Feb 20, 2017
    I am a first time hatcher and I am concerned about my little guys. I started out with 5 eggs (given to me from a friend) and now only two remain. I started incubating on January 18th and as of now both eggs have pipped. However, one pipped two nights ago (over 24 hours) and the other pipped yesterday around 2:00pm. They have not pipped nor attempted to unzip anymore. This is dsy 33 which is also very concerning to me. I'm not sure if I should take them out and candle them to see if they are still living, try to assist, or leave them alone. I know leaving them alone is clearly the most natural way of doing things but I just don't want th to die. Would it hurt to take them out to candle them? They are in an incubator that regulating temperature, turning, and humidity independently (I just have to add water). Thanks!

2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    I'm not sure, sorry...

@Amiga
    @Miss Lydia

Maybe they ^ can help you...

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Awww, you might need to help - I am not a hatcher. Let me try to tag

@dotknott

@WVduckchick

@Lacrystol

@learycow

If you open the bator now, you may risk ziplocking, but if it has been this long they may need help.

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    @fordao It's been a few hours since the original post, so rather than ask a bunch of questions, I'd like to see an update?

1 person likes this.
  5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Where is the temp and humidity at and what are you hatching?? Have they internally or externally pipped??

Never mind I see ducks.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. fordao

fordao New Egg

Feb 20, 2017
    Since my last post I had to assist both ducks. I believe the first one was shrink wrapped and I had to help him out entitlely. The second one I helped some but he was able to finish overnight by himself. The first one is having a lot of problems keeping his head up and kind of keeps it under his body. He also has what looks like an embilical cord and sac still attached to him. The second one looks healthy.

I don't know what to do about the first one. I don't want to lose him. From what I've read I could get him vitamins? I'm praying it's because he was shrink wrapped and he's just not strong enough yet. Also, the second duck is starting to peck in the incubator and I'm scared he's going to hurt the first duck, should I take the second duck out and put him in the pen?

7. fordao

fordao New Egg

Feb 20, 2017
    *update* the both have their heads up. The first one is a very small duckling and the second one appears to be normal size. Should I get him vitamins? [​IMG]

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Congrats....

I just hatched out 9 and the 10th is hatching right now......The floppy necks are normal .....All mine are fantastic.....No need for vitamins....Water is just fine......

Again congrats...So adorable ......

Cheers!

9. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Yes ducks should have vitamins for the first few weeks, the best thing I have found is vitamin b complete. One pill in a quart of water...

It sounds like the first one needs time to close up his navel. He should be ok.. but I would start the vitamin b water as soon as he's dried off and in the broody cage...

They shouldn't be outside just yet, they should be in a warm comfy place. You are there mom right now. So they are going to depend on you to take care of them and keep them warm, fed and water..

No swimming until they are at least a week old..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. fordao

fordao New Egg

Feb 20, 2017
    [​IMG]

Thank you! I'll be sure to get some vitamins. I'm still very nervous about everything I'm doing... I spend a lot of my time researching! Haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by