HELP WITH SEBASTOPOL NESTING IN UPPER MICHIGANS FRIGID FEBRUARY

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MM RANCH, Feb 2, 2015.

1. MM RANCH

MM RANCH New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Hi there, I am looking for any possible help, we live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and today was a balmy 0' when we woke up,, I have 2 females and 1 male Sebastopol that will start laying eggs anytime now. The first year she laid eggs she hatched out 2 successfully, one being the additional goose we now have, and last year they both laid and nested with -0- success,,, :( ,,, I have really struggled at how to keep her warm and the nest warm enough, she lays in a good size wooden built playhouse with lots of straw and bedding, I usually end up placing a heat lamp over her but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a better way to keep her and her nest warm!! Any help is appreciated.... we have also tried incubating with no luck at all,,, a little frustrated~~~~ Thanks for any advice~

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try marking and leaving the first laid eggs to serve as 'nest eggs'. After that bring the eggs into the house, store them at moderate temperatures and humidity, turn daily. Try to provide separate nests so that there is no squabbling over eggs. When the hens start setting, toss the nest eggs and add the 'stored' eggs to the nest. If chilling of the eggs is the problem, this should be the solution. I am somewhat concerned that your gander may be sterile since eggs in the incubator show no development.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by