Help with Serama chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sakki66, Feb 26, 2012.

1. sakki66

sakki66 New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    I have 3x 7 day old Serama chicks in my brooder and 3x 2 day old Serama chicks in a temp' brooder. The latter are silkies and now look small compared to the other 3. I believe that they are all B class but the others are double the size. I want to mix them but am unsure whether to do this now, or to wait. But if I wait then I may be worse off as they will not know each other until they are older, and that meeting may be worse????????????? No idea what is best and No experience of this at all. Any help would be great.

2. sakki66

sakki66 New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    Hi, having read the toxic risk of shatterproof lightbulbs I decided to take the chance and put them all together, then sat there for 2 hours watching them. I took the older chicks out first then cleaned and rejigged their home so it looked and smelled new. Then put the little ones in first so they went under the brooder. The big ones jumped on the brooder when they realsed that they were in a strange place that seemed to belong to other tiny chicks. They all slept together and have mixed great this morning. Infact they have split the groups so they interact with each other. The tiniest of the second group stays with the largest of the first group :) All's well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by