1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help with sex of designer chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by addiedunn, May 8, 2009.

1. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I was reading on another thread about the barred rocks having the black splash on the legs and the spot on the head if they are pullets. I have 6 mutts, two of which I am sure are babies of Bertie, my BR. The roo over all is a GLW and they all 6 have the rose comb. Attack Chicken hatched these for me in her incubator [​IMG] and when she brought them over these two little black ones had black splashed feet and legs and dots on their heads. Is it too soon to tell yet? They are only two weeks.
    this was a few days ago.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

We're pretty sure the blond one is a roo. He's real aggressive and practically screams when I hold him. lol The chipmunk looking one I'm hoping is a pullet. But sometimes, I'd swear there are 6 boys in there the way they carry on.
    [​IMG]
    And if anyone would like to opine a sex on any of these, all pullet opinions are welcome! lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking and I can't wait to hear from the experts. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When you cross them, you can't entirely rely on the sexing rules for BRs. Typically, when a BR hen is crossed with any rooster, the males are all barred and the females are basically solid colored. I did have two EE/BR pullets who had spangling down the chest and lacing in the wings.

3. addiedunn

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Thanks! Anyone else want to take a guess at some of these? I need to post more pictures. They change so fast.

4. addiedunn

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    here are some new pics
    Any guess?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The white one looks like it has a rose comb in the pic...perhaps Wyandotte cross? Can't tell sex on them yet.

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    They are growing up to fast! I need to post some pics of the runt and my other ones soon [​IMG] In fact.. I think I'm going to take and upload some right now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by