Help with sexes for possible splash wyandottes!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bebenseea, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Bebenseea

Bebenseea Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2012
    These two little ones are (I'm guessing) 8-10 weeks old. I got them from my neighbor who was having raccoon problems with her chickens and wanted to keep them safe. If you have any thoughts on the breed, I'm just guessing. She did have several different roos so it could be a mix. They seem to be a different sex based on the huge tail difference. But the one with the smaller tail seems to have a darker comb. I have heard they mature slowly, but they are quite small compared to my RIR (10 weeks) yet finished getting real feathers at the same time..

any thoughts on the RIRs would be greatly appreciated too![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    looks like young BLRW, one being the splash variation. I wonder if the lacing will come out better after their next molt. Could you get face shots? My one wyandolle everyone thought was a roo because her comb developed early but the development slowed and she's, well, a SHE! I don't see anything that is distinctly male...for now.

3. Bebenseea

Oct 12, 2012
    Thats good news for now! Here are a few shots of the darker ones comb (its slightly more red than the other. I'll get more in the morning when they are up and about :) Thanks for the reply![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they are blrw and the one in the back appears to be a cockerel due to that 2 toned coloring it has on the wings. the RIR (looks more like production reds instead though) appear to be pullets

5. Bebenseea

Oct 12, 2012
    Thanks so much for your insight. I was thinking that the darker one was a boy from the begining because he was much slower to mature, but its good to have some other input especially since the tails were throwing me off as they matured. I think the RIR are probably the production reds. I havent had them before, but after reading up on here abit I noticed they dont have the deep red coloring that RIRs are supposed to. Are they less purebreed? Thanks again!

6. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    X2

7. Bebenseea

Oct 12, 2012
    Just an update. Here is a picture of the head of the light colored one (in case that changes anything). As well as a few of the production reds. Should I assume the splash girl will start laying late because they are a slow growing breed?

[​IMG]
    Nova (lighter blrw)

[​IMG]
    Nova
    [​IMG]
    Nova's tail
    [​IMG]
    Sassy (RIR/production red) tail
    [​IMG]
    Sassy's comb

8. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Is that a single comb on the splash? Not sure it's a girl either now.

9. Bebenseea

Oct 12, 2012
    Nova's comb is a mystery to me. I'm not very experienced, but from the research I have done it looks like a rose comb. It's definitely not the same as the RIR. The back (part farthest from the beak) is dipped in like it was pushed down. Here is another shot that might help. [​IMG]

10. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    That's better-looks rose to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by