Help with sexing chicks, much appreciated.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cluckcluckluke, Dec 18, 2012.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I need some tips on sexing 7-10 week old chicks, i have a rough idea. But at this age am i looking for combs, spurs, pointed hackle and saddle feathers, leg thickness and head width??? I will put up some pictures later tomorrow on a separate thread of the chicks. It's just that I'm helping a friend out sex her chicks and she has no idea and i have a bit of an idea and she said any help would be appreciated but wasn't sure if any of the changes i named above would be noticeable on 7-10 week old chicks or if there are any more changes that would be present she has 18 chicks so i can compare them with each other which is always easier.

Each person will get a free thumbs up if they can help me out.lol.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Yeah, yeah, no need for bribery LOL

At that age I look at combs mostly. Some breeds have very distinct colouring that makes sexing easier at a young age, but the combs are usually a give-away. They won't grow spurs until they are much older, so no point looking for those! And I've seen hens with some quite impressive spurs, so I won't rely on that one.

Post some pics over in the What Breed/Gender is This section so we can have a look. Nice clear head shots would help.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I agree with sumi. I had a chick that looked like all the other chicks except for its huge red comb. He didn't get his hackle or saddle feathers for a long, long time but his comb was a dead give away. He was about 8-10 weeks old in this picture.
    [​IMG]

4. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    At this age hens will have more developed feathering and minuscule combs. But Roos will be scruffier and have much mor developed combs

5. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]One for you.
    [​IMG]One for you
    [​IMG]And one for you Sumi.lol.

Thank you all, so at this stage I'm just looking for comb size really with the hens having none-some comb and males having quite a bit of comb. I hope i can do a good job helping my friend will get a few pictures up tonight hopefully. The chicks are just a jumble of things with the rooster being a wonderful assortment of colors and the hens being some either EE's or really bad Faverolles as they have not got 5 toes and fluffy feet but do have puffy cheeks(like an EE) but no colored egg gene, I'll get some pictures of them though as well.
    Thanks all again. CluckCluckLuke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by