help with sexing four 18-19 week old peeps?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peacebird, Jan 19, 2008.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    this is mom hen, she's kind of homely but funny!
    [​IMG]

this is poppa with the four youngsters:
    [​IMG]

this is one I think is a roo? ..but I'm basing that on the muttonchops and beard look he is sporting...
    [​IMG]

I think this is a hen?
    [​IMG]

and these next two I just haven't a clue.... Of course I don't have much of a clue about the first two either... [​IMG] LOL!

[​IMG]
    oops - bandwidth is dying as a storm is moving in. Can't get the last picture loaded....

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

All girls except the daddy roo.

3. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    That would be EGGsellent news!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was afraid I was going to have to put one in the stewpot to keep the neighbors happy... They don't mind Mario, but Mario times two would be a bit TOO (2) much.

So -how could you tell? And why does one have a beard and mutton chops?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Compare with your roo. They have smaller combs, smaller bodies, no hackle or sickle feathers, don't stand as high and if were roo's would have probably started arguing with dad.

As for the mutton chops, somewhere in the genes, there must be a bearded parent or grand parent.

5. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    So Beardie is a girl? [​IMG] LOL! Oh my - and I though the momma hens were homely...!

The peeps are much chunkier, bigger, and fuller bodied than their moms. Prettier coloring too! And if all gals than I am a happy woman!

[​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Looks like to me they are all girls except for the daddy roo..hes a handsome boy!

As for the muttonchops, somewhere in the background, there is an EE somewhere....if you take a very close look at daddy roo, he has a bit of sideburns behind his red wattles. Something tells me that one of his parent is an EE.

All in all, I think your girls are lovely!

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yup, the single pics are all girls.

And where did 'mutton chops' get her gorgeous beard/muffs? She is so pretty.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by