1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help with sexing Khaki Campbell.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by seeulaterok, Aug 16, 2015.

1. seeulaterok

seeulaterok New Egg

Aug 16, 2015
    Brigham City UT
    [​IMG]

We know the Khaki in the front is a drake, we where thinking the Khaki in the back was a girl but toda I saw some green on her head, she is older then the other ducks by 2-3 wks, and had no drake feathers.

2. seeulaterok

seeulaterok New Egg

Aug 16, 2015
    Brigham City UT
    [​IMG]
    Better pic

3. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    That one is a drake. There's green coming out on the head and the bill color also indicates a drake.

4. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    I agree - It looks like you have two drakes. What is the gender of your Pekin?

5. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Two drakes!

6. seeulaterok

seeulaterok New Egg

Aug 16, 2015
    Brigham City UT
    I think it is a girl, she never shuts up. Lol

7. seeulaterok

seeulaterok New Egg

Aug 16, 2015
    Brigham City UT
    Thanks all.

8. feasel

feasel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2015
    Apologies for cross-posting but after putting this in another thread I noticed that it hadn't been active since February so I'm trying again in here, hope that's OK!

I have been lurking around all the forums dedicated to the topic of sexing ducks and decided to finally post here -

Getting our ducks was a bit hectic; we went to a farm and said "we'd like to buy some ducks please". The woman to whom we spoke said "righto" and leapt into a pen full of ducks that all went beserk instantly. She asked us if we wanted all females, we said yes please, she asked "layers or a tiny bit younger?" we said a tiny bit younger please, and then all of a sudden we had this massive shaking box full of anxious ducks and we forgot to ask anything else because all we could think about was getting them safely home and not dropping the box on the way to the car...

So I *think* we have some young-ish ducks just before point of lay and I *think* they are all girls

However my mum saw them all in the pond the other day and said one of them was humping another one. I gather sometimes this is a dominance thing, but then there is also the vocal stuff.. I have been listening pretty hard to their sounds; they chunter away to each other all the time and sound a bit like chicks (sort of high pitched and cheepy) and also a bit raspy like the recordings I have heard of drakes... but then they all have a pretty loud clear quack on them, too. Do lady ducks chunter to each other in a way that sounds a bit raspy or cheepy when they are young and when they are not quacking or is any indication of raspiness an instant indication that we have boys? A sound recording of them can be found here, it includes the cheeping, chuntering noises and the loud quacks together.

[​IMG]

Honey, doing her special sideways face

[​IMG]

Pretzel - slightly darker feet

[​IMG]

Bonbon's tail - is that curly or just jaunty to your experienced eyes?

[​IMG]

Pretzel (L) and Honey (R) playing in the mudhole they have made and with which they are truly thrilled

They are called Honey, Bonbon and Pretzel and I don't know what I will do if more or one of them are drakes!!! Honey is the honey-coloured one; Pretzel has the slightly darker feet; and Bonbon is the other one - Bonbon has lovely defined colours on her wing feathers.

9. jducour

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    Hi! I am looking at Pretzel - when he/she is in the sunshine, is there a touch of iridescent green shine to the head? I think I am seeing the beginnings of a green head, but it is hard to tell this young without being in the sunshine. I think Honey and Bonbon are probably female (I have a honey too - suck a cute name!) I don't see any curl on Bonbons tail, here is a picture of my Khaki Campbells tail, it has been this curly since about 4 months, which is what I would be your ducks are.

[​IMG]

He became this beautiful tan color after his juvenile molt at about 4-5 months. The dark feathers on his tail also have the slightest iridescence to them as well. I couldn't get the sound you added to work, it took me to a website, but not a specific recording. My girls all chatter while they forage, different chirping and happy noises. My drakes don't do that. When they forage, they are silent, until they put their heads up to make sure their flock is safe, and then they talk to each other about it (I have two drakes that make sure their ducks stay safe), but it sounds like a couple of toads croaking to each other. They never make happy chirpy noises like the girls do.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  10. jducour

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    Oh, and can you get a picture of Bonbons face? In my KC drake, his head started to turn green before he got his tail feather. The head was the only sign he was a drake. Well, his voice too :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by