Help with sexing my 11 week old silkie please?! Pictures!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chiabot, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Chiabot

Chiabot New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Hello everyone, we have recently bought three beautiful silkies from a local hatchery. They are all 11 weeks old and already have big personalities shining through! My sisters and I all have our own each and I was wondering if anyone could share their expertise on sexing my silkie baby, Beau? The woman from the hatchery reckoned she was a female by looking at her wings. Is this a very acurate way of sexing silkies? I can't keep her if she ends up being a boy. Also, by looking at her colours is she a splash silkie or of another variety? I haven't yet seen another silkie who looks like her before! Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed she is not a he! Thankyou.

As you can see it was hard to get good photos of her, she/he is so excitable and won't stop fidgeting, running, digging and playing around! I hope these are good enough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. Chiabot

Chiabot New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Anyone? [​IMG]

3. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry I am new to silkies too (mine are in the 'bator). I hope a silkie expert will get back to you about it. S/he is a very interesting color! Maybe a calico??

Melissa

4. Chiabot

Chiabot New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Thanks Melissa, good luck with your silkies!

5. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    It looks like it might be a Partridge Silkie.
    As far as the sex, it's way to early to tell.
    I have one the same color that is ten months old and hasn't laid an egg or crowed yet.
    Hopefully someone who raises them will help you out better.
    Good luck.
    [​IMG]

6. Chiabot

Chiabot New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Thanks nhnanna [​IMG] I would love to see a picture of your ten month old silkie of the same colour. It would be really interesting to see what Beau may look like fully grown!

7. Chiabot

Chiabot New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Any silkie owners, breeders or experts out there that have an idea of what sex my silkie may be? Thankyou.

8. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    The coloring is partridge...sexing silkies is extremely hard to do until they're mature...usually around 8 months or so old. The old saying "if it crows, it's a rooster...if it lays an egg, it's a hen" exactly describes it! [​IMG]

9. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    If I had to guess on the sex~~I'd have to say roo....sorry
    Look at the way it's crest sweeps back, that's usually a good indicator; also, its comb seems to be widening.

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Top photo looks like a cockerel...getting a large comb.

The others...can't tell from the photo. Probably a bit too young still

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by