Help with sexing my 2 Lav Orp chicks? Thinking boy and girl but not sure?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aroz26, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Aroz26

Aroz26 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

I'm just wondering if it's possible to tell the sex for sure on my chicks at 5 weeks? I was originally thinking the one on the left was a girl and the one on the right was a boy but they are both so much larger than the other chicks and are growing at a much faster rate so I'm not quite as sure now. As you can see, the girl has a much longer tail and the boy has redder ear lobes and a more noticeable waddle which you can't quite see in the photo. I was originally going by the size difference in the combs as the boys comb was slightly bigger and had more red in it

2. EyeHeartBantams

EyeHeartBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2012
    Manitoba, Canada
    I'd agree on a pullet and cockerel at the moment, but I could be wrong. Haha. The one on the right does seem to have a redder and more-developed comb. Not to mention visible red earlobes.

3. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012

4. Aroz26

Aug 3, 2012
    That's what I was thinking too :) So far so good. I was eventually hoping for a mating pair. just a question though. Are there any downsides to them mating as they are brother and sister?[​IMG]

5. ChickenExtreme

Jun 25, 2012
    You can't breed siblings, you can breed father daughter so on, sounds sick, but it's line breeding

6. Aroz26

Aug 3, 2012
    That makes sense. Do you think the chickens follow this rule though? Just out of curiosity as our neighbour has about a dozen or so hens and about 5 or 6 young cockerels that are starting to try and mate with them. They don't seem to be to fussy about who they choose but it does seem to be the older hens more than the young hens that have just come into lay. Would it also work mating the son back to the mother once he matures or is it easier with the father/daughter mating?

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    you sure they are orps? they have feathered shanks and orps don't have that

8. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    amy bird can breed any bird, but thats when things can get messed up genetic wise

9. Aroz26

Aug 3, 2012
    I posted a pic of their mother in another post and came to the conclusion that she was a Lavender Orpington but most likely a mix as her colouring is more mottled. The farm next door has a Lavender Orpington rooster and they all free range together. I would say he is a mix too as he has feathered shanks which might be where they got theirs from. Could the slightly feathered shanks be caused by too much inbreeding? I have noticed a couple of hens have this including the hen that is raising the chicks

10. ChickenExtreme

Jun 25, 2012
    Good Eye hhhmmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by