Help with sexing? Thanks!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skybleu92, Oct 30, 2016.

1. skybleu92

skybleu92 Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Hi everyone!! We are new backyard chick/en owners and we are in love with our little guys! We have 8 chicks at the moment that we adopted unsexed from my son's school's hatching program......hoping to end up with 4 hens as that is the maximum we are able to keep in our backyard. The problem is that as these chicks get bigger they are outgrowing their tub and generally wreaking a bit of havoc! I am hoping that soon I'll be able to ID the roos so I can rehome them (we know someone who will take roos for their farm) and thin out the flock a bit.

Most of them are only 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old, but one is 3 1/2 weeks old. The cream/brown ones are Lohman, which is a New Hampshire hybrid, and the black ones are an Australian breed called Australorp.

I have a feeling that we have two Australorp roos and two Australorp hens, based on the combs and personalities. Most of the Lohmans I have no idea, but I was wondering if you might be able to help me sex the 3 1/2 week old one?

Hopefully, if I can positively ID a couple of roos soon, I can start giving a few away and get our flock to a more manageable number!

Thank you so much for any help you can give!!

Pic 1: Suspected Australorp roo on the right (see the comb?) and hen on the left?
    [​IMG]

These two pics.... 3 1/2 week old Lohman. What do you think? Hen or roo? We're hoping hen as this is our favourite!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Suspected Australorp hen
    [​IMG]

Suspected Australorp roo....see much bigger comb? What do you think?
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    These are too young to sex. You will be able to tell more definitively when they are six to eight weeks old.

Edited to add that the australorp that you think is a pullet doesn't look like an australorp. Australorp chicks don't have brown on their faces like that.

Edit again because I can't remember if Lohmann Browns are sex linked or not. If they are, pullets will have been red and hatch and males will have been yellow. Pullets will feather in red with a little white and males will feather in white.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  3. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Still young to tell but the australorp looks like a roo. The Lohman looks like a hen but they are too young to tell for sure. give them like 3 more weeks.

4. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!

5. skybleu92

skybleu92 Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    hmm interesting....I was told they were but guess they could be a hybrid as well. Thanks for your help....guess I'll just have to be patient!!

6. skybleu92

skybleu92 Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Thanks!! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    to young

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by