1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with sexing these chicks (8 weeks)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lalegid, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    These are 3 barred rock/north holland babies (Dad was a barred rock, mum was either barred rock or north holland.) Two have yellow legs, one has white (she has the nth holland mum obviously, from the leg colour, the other 2 I'm not sure if they are pure barred rock)
    They are 8 weeks old, and I'm suspecting roosters because they have some wattle development and their combs aren't little! Aside from that, I find it difficult to look at feather development for clues until it's really obvious, so would appreciate your opinions! Sorry for the terrible photos, why are chickens so difficult to photograph?!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    At this point I would go by comb and color of comb....I could go either way your birds. My hybrids mature faster, and Barreds can mature faster, so that skews a bit.

That is more comb than I like to see at 8 weeks, so I suspicion you may be right and have 3 roo's, but there is still hope. I've had precocious girls that got larger combs but not RED combs.

Here is a 10 week old Barred Rock or BR mix boy in comparison:

[​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm also leaning towards them being cockerels, based on the feather coloration as well as comb size/color.

4. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Thanks for your help, I'll post pictures again in a couple of weeks :)

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They all look like cockerels to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by