Help with sexing these Peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by reesepoultry, Sep 17, 2011.

1. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    I am thinking that these are all males because of the barring. There is 4 total 2 big ones and 2 small ones. These all came from mixed pen eggs I purchased on ebay. They look India Blue but I would have no clue what genes they carry if any. Mixed pens were: java, spaulding, white, IB, Cameo.

I am thinking all males. Anyone else have a guess. If you need more pics or better just let me know.

the 2 Big peafowl pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 2 smaller ones pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    The bottom photo is female peachick, the all other photoes of peachicks are all males.

Male have orange primaries (flight feathers) and barred backs.

Female have brown primaries and brown plain backs.

Clinton.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  3. Exotics R Us

Exotics R Us Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Carolinas
    Some will grow out of their barring and could be hens.

Ricky

4. Exotics R Us

Jul 18, 2011
    Carolinas
    Quote:How are you going to sex Whites and Silver Pieds? they don't have Brown feathers, but you can sex them if you know what to look for same goes for the Muticus type birds some look the same as well with the brown.

Ricky

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:How are you going to sex Whites and Silver Pieds? they don't have Brown feathers, but you can sex them if you know what to look for same goes for the Muticus type birds some look the same as well with the brown.

Ricky

Agree there are some spalding in the first pics. can't sex them like that or BLACKSHOULDER just look at a bs hen, she has those orange flights

6. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    My thoughts on the first two larger ones are both males. They look like my IB males at that age.

The second two, well I'm just guessing but I'd say maybe both hens??? I only had IB's so that is just a guess. One might be a male???? Either way I have 50/50 % chance of guessing right hey?? LOL

7. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Thanks guys. I thought most of them were males. I am still a little confused. But the 2 big ones in a differant light Have some blue on the back of there necks. I guess it is a guessing game until they get a little bigger due to a mixed pen of peafowl. I am hoping they aren't all males. But with my luck they are.

8. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi Ricky,
    White peafowls cannot be sexed until the 2nd adult train feathers are fully grown, at age of 2 1/2 years old. Otherwise reply on leg spurs as male peafowls have longer spurs than female peafowls.

Female Black shouldered peafowls are white, like white peafowls, but have gray patch on rump, and orange colour on primaries, nape and bases of outer secondary coverts.
    But BS start as creamy coloured peachicks and cannot be sexed until 3 - 4 months old when male have green colour on neck feathers.

I don't know how to sex immature green peafowls as sexes look alike and both sexes have spurs.

Leg spurs grow faster and are much longer in male immature peafowls than female peafowls. I measured the leg spurs of four shot 1-year-old peafowls and found the one 1-year-old female had 8 mm spur (measured on inner side of spur) and three males have 14 mm to 18 mm.
    These 3 males are 20 months old and in mostly 1st adult plumages, with short barred trains as birds start to moult the primaries at 19 months old. They had few new 2nd adult feathers as back, rump, one plain green 2nd adult train feather and seaval blue neck feathers.

So leg spurs are only way to sex white peafowls from 6th months old.

Clinton.

Ricky

9. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Clinton
    This is my almost 2 year old white getting his first tail in at the end of June. He started growing it mid / end May. His tail looked like a fluff ball when it started. He was not yet 2 years old.

[​IMG]

This is him last week drying out his train from the rain we got

[​IMG]

Here he is displaying

[​IMG]

So your post is incorrect. You can tell the males earlier then what you stated. I have another male who will be 2 next year and I can tell he is male as he is much taller then white hens.

Sorry Reese for hijacking the thread [​IMG]

10. Exotics R Us

Jul 18, 2011
    Carolinas
    Quote:.

Clinton.

You can sex Whites and Silver Pieds by tail feathers at the age of 8 to10 months old, and if you have to wait til the age of 2 1/2 to sex them there's something wrong because by the time they are 2 the hens will be laying eggs and the males will have a train and if you still can't tell the sex [​IMG]

Ricky

Ricky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by