Help with sexing thought they both were roos!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DanyyChicken, Jul 7, 2011.

1. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    I have a posting under flock managemant because we have too many roos and some of them are taking a ride to the pound with me on Monday. I am trying to sort out who is going and who if any can stay. I had thought both of theses were roos but on the other posting someone had thought the polish cross (brown and black ) was a pullet. I'm just taking a poll of opinions. It would be great if it was. Should I wait longer on these two to fix it out?What do you think of the bantam salmon faverolle x roo or pullet. Neither one has crow as there are others in the coop right now taking care of that job.I thought the brown/black one was a roo just because she/he gets alot of respect from the others roo and hens. She/he never really has to revert to any physical attacks. She/he just makes a noise and the others step aside. I have only seen she/he once grab my standard cochin cockerel by the back feather when he didn't step aside. The polish cross about 17 weeks old.
    The bantam salmon favorelle cross is not very confrontational either. The only one I see him interacting with that way is a black bantam frizzle x and he is always the instigator. Actually the little black one will mix it up with all the suspected roos in coop. The frizzle is a trouble maker and although very cool looking he is going for a ride to the pound with me Monday. The salmon faverolle cross is about 13 weeks old.[​IMG]
    Could it be a pullet I would be very excited! Polish cross about 17 weeks old[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Salmon Faverolle x 13 weeks My son would love to keep she/he[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What do you all think?

This little guy is going to the pound...He's trouble!
    [​IMG]

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    First one pullet, second one roo, third one adorable![​IMG]

3. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:X2 !

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Pullet, roo , roo

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Heehee, you can see that she means business even in photographs! The first bird is definitely a polish crossed with a cochin. At least one of the parents was a gold laced bird.

Your Faverolle is a roo.

Hope that helps!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That was me who though your polish x was a pullet, and after that back shot looking down- it is 100% a girl. The other 2 look like boys to me.

7. DanyyChicken

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Guys,
    Thank you so much for your input! I am so ecstatic that the polish cross is a she. Yahoo! We get to keep another one! I was so depressed to think the Roos out numbered the pullets. With this news the pendulum has swung the other way. 6 hens to 5 Roos. She is one of my nicer birds very easy to pick up and pet. Nice and roly poly too and I love her low toned voice. I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy! Have I said it enough![​IMG]

8. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    BEAUTIFUL!!! I am in LOVE with the last one!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    Just for curiosity-what is the adoption rate out of the shelter? Our are no kill around here, so I have never considered bringing any Roos there, assuming they would just be consuming what slim resources the shelter has. But if they get adopted out readily, and the shelter receives an adoption fee, it is definitely worth looking into.

10. DanyyChicken

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Hi there,
    I didn't specifically ask about the percentage rate but the woman I spoke with on the phone explained the process as this to me. They are received/surrender there and placed in a 30 day quarantine. They have an enclosed avian run ( in hayloft of horse barn) away from the poultry that have already made it past this process and are available for adoption in the poultry barn. They can stay in the avian run as long as they can get along with other poultry that are house there waiting. If not they have a few individual cages. They assess them if they feel they are to aggressive they will humanely euthanize them as with any animal they feel is unfit for adpotion. During this quarantine they are tested by the state for avian flu and pullorum. After they are cleared from the quarantine they are placed out for adoption. The woman stated at that point they can basically live there life out there till adopted. They suggest that you make a donation to help fund the care of your animal as well as the others in their care. There is no set fee it is a donation. What ever you see fit to give. The adoption fee for someone looking to adopt poultry from them is $10. I do know that the surrender hens go pretty quickly. The lady stated that the roosters are some of the more difficult animals to place but I'm sure it is all dependent on age and attractiveness of the animal and of course what people are looking for at that time. I feel it is one of the better options for me (as a newbie). These people know there poultry, poultry diseases and suitability of the animals. I would hate to try to rehome them myself and have them go to a stew pot or to possibly pass on a problem bird to someone else (either for personality reasons or health). I feel pretty comfortable with this option for myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by