Help with sexing young RIR's (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stanglover2001, Aug 11, 2010.

1. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    I went and bought these today, I was hoping for all pullets and so the ones that had redder/bigger combs I didn't get so no comparison to the others I didn't buy. Sorry if the pictures aren't the best the chicks were very flighty, and I didn't want them loose in my chicken yard (I'm holding them until I know they're healthy).
    Here is first RIR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second RIR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Third RIR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Comparing these to how mine look right now at 10-12 weeks old. I would say you have all hens but I am new at this and have questions on a few of mine.

3. stanglover2001

Apr 29, 2010
    Lady said they were 5-8 weeks old, she really just had no idea [​IMG] . she said a month and a week when I called and then while I was picking them up she said about 2 months. So no clue how old they are but I've already got 3 roosters so I'm hoping all hens this go round [​IMG]

4. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    here is one of my pullets for comparison when she was 5 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and at 12 weeks old....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. stanglover2001

Apr 29, 2010
    Well I guess in the next month or so I'll know a bit better, I'll keep an eye on the combs. Thanks for the pictures, they look really good! Still hoping for all hens [​IMG] and it's not like a rooster is a big deal where I am... But I have soo many [​IMG] I have 3 mutt roosters, 7 barred rock roos, 2 or 4 black chickens that I think are roosters, 3 RIR roos, and a russian orloff roo. sigh Oh, and a SLW roo [​IMG] can't forget bout him (got him for my SLW girls).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by