Help with shed roof on pallet coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Angelight, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm a complete novice at this. I've take a very strong pallet and placed it on bottom, battened it closed to hold the flooring, placed 3 wall pallets on it, and now I'm stuck. I want a shed style roof with complete ventilation because I live in tropical climate. I was hoping to do a tin roof on top of a pallet to create the overhang needed. Right now, though, I'm stuck on how to even get a 2' piece of 2"x4" to attach to the "studs" in the pallets to create the angle. I can't get my drill down between the pallet pieces to attach hardware. We get too much rain to feel comfortable with a flat roof. I'm debating getting a couple of 2x4s in the proper sizes but then I'm feeling like I wasted all this time and effort on trying to save money to use the stupid pallets. ( [​IMG] I may be in the minority but pallets are not worth the trouble, IMO. REALLY wishing I'd just started with 2x4s and plywood.

Help, please! [​IMG]

2. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    I am assuming you did a floor, then built it up on 3 sides with the other 3 pallets- Pallets are made with 2 or 3 runners (these are the support beams that the cross pieces are nailed to) and spallings (these are the thinner cross pieces) If your 2 sides were made in such a manner that the runners are facing up and down, you can make a TT looking piece from 2x4s such that you can screw through the 2x4 "legs" into the runners- that way you can get the height that you need for the slope., the back can just rest on the edge of the pallets. Look at my pix, I have 3 or 4 pallet built coops and I am so much more satisfied with them than the 1st couple I built with all new wood.

3. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    Thank you! That worked! I did end up needing to fork out funds for lumber to make the roof work but at least I didn't have to rip it down and start over. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by