Help with showing chickens, where to buy?

LOVEMYCHICKS03

Songster
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
the lobster state... gross!
Next year I'm planning on showing a chicken but can't buy from breeder so what hatchery is the best for showing? I've watched the poultry show and they had no breeder birds but I want to make sure I get 1st or 2nd place, teehee. Please help!

I'm surprised that there were no birds for sale at the poultry show that you attended. The Sussex Co. poultry show in NJ always has a number of quality birds for sale - not that far from Mass.

It really depends on which breed(s) you are interested in, and what kind of competition you'll be against. I've had some fairly good birds from Cackle, but others were nowhere near standard. Same with Welp.

Last edited:
I've seen photos of nicely colored Light Brahmas from Cackle here on BYC, I do not recommend Welp for those. My Silver Laced Wyandotte from Cackle is terrible (though I've heard better things about their GLW), and my one from Welp was leaps and bounds better (bigger, less mossy). I don't think you'll find any Faverolles that will be adequate at a hatchery. My Cackle Cochin hen is too small, and the cockerel had vulture hocks, so you wouldn't want to show them--I haven't had them from other hatcheries. I have no knowledge on hatchery Orpingtons, besides a guess that most will be on the small side compared to breeders.

Cackle at least has videos of their breeder flocks, so you can get a better idea of what you might get from them.

Generally hatchery chickens aren't bred to standard they are just bred for numbers. In many cases their initial stock isn't even pure. I'm not aware of any large scale hatcheries that have any show quality level stock. That being said if you want chickens that resemble a breed pretty well without being show quality then I've had good luck with cackle. My advice would be to research what breed you want then find their breed association page and look for breeders there. http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/BC_Links.htm

Back
Top Bottom