Help with sick 4 week old bantam Cochin

Rachm1

Chirping
May 17, 2017
Woodinville WA
my 4 week old Cochin has been fluffed up and sick for about 2 days. I can barely feel anything in his crop and am not sure what to look for in a distended abdomen. I'm giving him corid in his water incase it is coccidosis, but judging by his poop I don't think it is. He also feels hot to the touch. Any other suggestions? He's standing directly under the heat lamp and is very puffy and just wants to sleep. Sometimes he wakes up and grooms himself and will maybe nibble on something but that is it. I noticed him taking a dust bath the other day and he was laying belly up on his back with his feet in the air. I thought that was odd but he seemed okay otherwise so I just ignored it. Now this :(

I would take him to the vet. Sorry I can't help. I think separating might be good incase its contagious. Maybe u could sacrifice one chicken to stay with him in confinement

corrid takes a few days to work, give it a drop full strength with a dropper . make sure not enough to choke him . just a drop at the tip of the beak and he should swallow it. Sometimes cocci dont show blood. As far as him on his back he might be weak or a clown, mine do it sometimes. you can offer some scrambled eggs to help gain strength. I hope he gets better.

fluffed up and sick for about 2 days

I'm giving him corid in his water incase it is coccidosis

He's standing directly under the heat lamp and is very puffy and just wants to sleep

I've been treating with corid for two days now. Still fluffed up and limited eating and movement.

Hi @Rachm1

Corid should be given for 5-7 days continuously - this should be the only source of water available during this time period. **Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon. **

Try your best to encourage him to drink the Corid water - you can give it to all the chicks, won't hurt them. Offer wet feed. Keep the water and feed on the cool side of the brooder.

What you describe about the dusting bathing sounds normal to me:)

Thank so everyone for the replies. I've been treating with corid for two days now. Still fluffed up and limited eating and movement. He is separated from the rest of the flock, but also wondering if they need corid in their water for a couple of days? Would it be bad to treat them with corid if this in fact isn't coccidiosis?

Back
Top Bottom