Help with sick chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PaulaBt, Mar 14, 2017.

1. PaulaBt

PaulaBt New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi,

My RIR is lethargic, has very dark green, runny poop and isn't eating and not drinking very much. I know the attached photo is a bit blurry but this is her vent area. I soaked her in warm water for about 10 minutes and I checked for a stuck egg but it isn't that. I gave her antibiotics yesterday and today. I purchased a dewormer today, too and gave her some of that. I have been using a syringe to give her some food and water (which contains the antibiotics).
    Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? She looks as though she is on death's door and I just don't know what else to do. She is laying right down to sleep, too.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tia
    Paula

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. PaulaBt

PaulaBt New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the tip, I will do that.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    IF she doesn't have worms, and doesn't need an antibiotic, they could make her worse instead of better. Is it possible to take her to a vet? If you do post on the E/R threads - please know when you go offline they aren't able to get your attention.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Paula and welcome to BYC. I hope that the folks on the ER forum can help you out.

Best wishes
    CT

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear your girl is ill, I hope the ER members or a vet can help her out.

Best of luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by