Help with sick chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Frenchhens, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Frenchhens

Frenchhens New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    South of France
    Sorry this is not an introduction but an urgent request for help:
    For the last couple of days I have noticed that one of my chickens has gone off her food and has buffed her feathers out. She is still drinking, however today I have noticed that she is opening her beak frequently and shaking her head. There is no discharge evident, but I can see something yellow in her throat and there is a horrible smell coming from there. I am not sure if this could be a fungal infection, something stuck in her throat or possibly something more fatal. My girls are cooped at night and free range during the day. I would be very grateful if someone could offer me some advice on how to help her. Thank you in advance.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry about your hen. Have you checked her crop first thing in the morning for fullness? Sounds like she either has a yeast/fungal infection in the crop that may have traveled up into the mouth or possibly canker in her mouth.

You need to post this in our emergency section for more help with this....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you can get her back on her feet and healthy soon. [​IMG]

3. Frenchhens

Frenchhens New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    South of France
    Thanks for the advice, I am a newbie to all of this so more information on what I should do to check this would be appreciated.

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Crops should be empty first thing every morning, before they have eaten or drank anything. If they are full, there is a problem.

The crop of the bird is on the right side of the chickens breast just below the neck. Stand over the bird, beak facing out and run your hand down the front of the bird. If the crop is full in the morning, you will feel a huge bulge on the right side of the breast. If it is full, see my article below on sour crops.

If it is empty first thing in the morning, I would suspect canker in the mouth. (Trichomoniasis) This is a parasite that is lodging itself in the mouth and throat. This will cause gasping and will kill them over time. The treatment would be metronidazole 250mg; one tablet a day for 5 days.

Here is an article you can read on canker in chickens....http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/154/trichomoniasis-canker-frounce

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Frenchhens

Frenchhens New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    South of France
    Just looked at some pics and read more info into canker and it definitely sounds like that is the problem. My next problem is to find out is what the medication is called here in France and where I can buy it.! Thanks for your help TwoCrows.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your hen. [​IMG] I hope you can find the right medication for her!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry about your hen! TwoCrows has given you some good help.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Here in the states this stuff is sold for aquarium fish. It is called Fish Zole. Here is a link to it...http://www.californiapetpharmacy.com/fish-zole-forte-500mg100ct.html

I don't know if this place ships over seas. You might call them and ask to find out who does. Check your Fish dealers for this stuff too.

Good luck and I hope you can get these meds soon!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you can get this med for your bird, so she will be well soon. Please let us know how she does. Thank you

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Best of luck with your sick bird!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by