Help with sick or injured duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kmwahoo, Mar 23, 2015.

1. kmwahoo

kmwahoo New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    One of my Male Peking ducks is not swimming and remains on the shore while all the other ducks are swimming. It seems to walk fine and does not appear to have any wounds that I can see. When I walk up and try to catch it, it jumps into the water and tries to swim. When it swims it seems really front end heavy and tilted to the left. It is almost like his butt is popping out of the water more that it should be.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Somehow you need to get him into a lukewarm tub of water deep enough to float in and observe him closely.

He could be having air sac problems, or an impaction of the digestive tract, could have an injury you cannot see.

Yes, it will be tricky. I suspect you will need help, and a plan. If you can get a video of him that might help, too.

Has anything happened lately? Fights, predators, change of food, getting loose into an area they usually don't go?

3. kmwahoo

kmwahoo New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    My pond opened up from the winter about 3 weeks ago and my ducks will not let me get them off the water. They used to walk to their pen every night and I would feed them and pen them up. I did see 1 of my ducks eat a small dead fish. Their diet has been basically eating out of the pond which they do 75% of the year. I do throw some corn down by the pond to attract Canada geese and other ducks. So it could be a diet issue but the other ducks seem to be fine.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    As I wrote above, sounds like you need a plan, and some help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by