Help with Silkie color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Melissa Rose, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi [​IMG]
    I have two little silkies who are now fluffy enough to see their colors. One I believe is a partridge I was told the other is perhaps a Buff/ Or do the random spots make it something else? Thank You for any help with this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Could it be a buff/partridge mixed colouring?

3. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    These were unmarked eggs so are a surprise [​IMG] I fell head over heels in loooovvveee [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Their little toe bones are just so precious [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

the darker chick will probably be partridge, the other - no idea.

The thing is many chicks will change ALOT as they color out. I have had partridge chicks turn out to be BLUE as they feathered in, so you really never know.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Partridge, and Buff. Guessing by the black/gray in the buffs down it will probably be a smutty buff.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've had really red/orange partridge type chicks hatch out this color. But if they were mystery eggs, they could possibly be from a mixed color flock, so you never know what it will turn out to look like. - lol the fun of babies!

7. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    I used to have Red Silkies, and the chicks looked similar to your lighter chick; so it may be a red or a buff?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by