Help with silkie color

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kenjofarms, Nov 14, 2011.

1. kenjofarms

kenjofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Hi, I'm a noob, to chickens and this forum. I'm hoping that a) I do this photo thing right; and b) someone can point out what the difference is with this supposed partridge rooster. Genetically speaking what is he, and what would he produce? I see this reference to calico and tortoiseshell, but if it isn't an actual color, this guy has an image issue (actually there are two with the same silvering along with the regular red partridge).

Thanks for any input!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think he's a Silkie mix, not a pure Silkie. Not sure what you'd call that color, but it's not regular partridge.

3. kenjofarms

Nov 14, 2011
    That it isn't purebred is something I have not considered as the feathering is all correct. Hmm, food for thought!

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    im sorry but he looks like a silkie mix not a pure silkie. the color is not partridge eaither. the reason i say he is a mix is looking at the feathers on the wing and the tail they are NOT silkie feathers at all but just your regular chicken feathers. to me silkies look like they basiclly have "hair" not feathers, heres a site for silkies (to me one of the best ones to look at pics of different breeds of chickens)

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Silkies/BRKSilkies.html

5. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    He looks like a silkie crossed with a partridge cochin to me.

6. kenjofarms

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks everyone! He's a chunky little guy so this makes a lot of sense! I love this forum already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by