Help with silkie/lavender Orpington chick/sexing

Kcollins213

In the Brooder
May 11, 2021
So we let one of our broody hens hatch out some eggs. I believe this one is a silkie/lavender Orpington mix (we only have silkie roosters). 9 weeks old Well we went on vacation and a day before we got home my mom noticed it was walking funny. Long story short I believe it had a vitamin deficiency. It went from curled toe paralysis-then to splay leg, and now its
Moving around pretty good but still walks a little on it’s hocks. I’m hoping within the next week it will get better. It’s very alert and acting normal poor thing just couldn’t walk with that one leg. So I was seeing if anyone else had experienced this. We have had it on rooster booster vitamins for 1 week now. Also while we’re at it would are any thoughts if it looks like a pulley or roo? I’m obliviously hoping for pullet, it’s just hard for me to tell cause my lavender hen had a red comb when she was a chick (she almost had me worried she was a roo) and the silkie roo that is the father has a huge red comb. First photo was taken before we left snd the rest after we got back.
FA0F2B8F-6ACA-40E9-AF6E-2478605C6C09.png
ACFF735B-BE09-46CC-940B-832B9A2FE2EC.jpeg
AAD9A093-C5CB-4AB8-943F-8F8A3B1885D7.jpeg
887E43DF-3D36-4761-9416-CAE3ED1BEEEB.jpeg
E089E08B-881F-4C9F-8575-57EA4E40DFD8.jpeg

He is a roo, gorgeous too! You also should consider testing for Marek’s, which often shows itself as leg paralysis. Keep feeding him vitamins and make sure he’s eating and drinking enough and that his crop is draining and he should get better! It’s also good to give him free range time to exercise his legs

He is a roo, gorgeous too! You also should consider testing for Marek’s, which often shows itself as leg paralysis. Keep feeding him vitamins and make sure he’s eating and drinking enough and that his crop is draining and he should get better! It’s also good to give him free range time to exercise his legs
Darn it lol I was hoping for hen 😂 but still going to try to get it better. Maybe it will fit in with the other roosters. It is with some other chicks it’s age and they have a separate pen inside the coop and outside so they aren’t getting picked on by the older hens. Would mareks only show up in one chick? Also we didn’t add any new chickens minus the eggs we hatched from our own.

Wow! He is absolutely gorgeous 😍 His crest is fabulous! My Silkie mix rooster doesn't have a large crest, but rather just a bit of a cowlick 😂
I joked with my husband of the 33 eggs we hatched out I probably kept all roosters 😂. I love how this one has feathered out though. it didn’t have any orange in it and now their peeking through everywhere. We just thought it would be fun to hatch some out from our chickens. Some were full silkies and the rest mixes. Of course the one mix I kept turns out to be a rooster lol

Wow! He is absolutely gorgeous 😍 His crest is fabulous! My Silkie mix rooster doesn't have a large crest, but rather just a bit of a cowlick 😂
I’m guessing based on color it was from my lavender Orpington. And probably my buff silkie “Becky” 😂

Attachments

• FD8D4D9F-F083-4EE1-B03C-4214F45B4F91.jpeg
    FD8D4D9F-F083-4EE1-B03C-4214F45B4F91.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 11
  • CB4C7BF6-0F04-41E5-A158-668F2195415F.jpeg
    CB4C7BF6-0F04-41E5-A158-668F2195415F.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 12
I won't be able to make my own unfortunately. My only lavender is an OEGB hen and I don't have anyone that's Buff anymore, sadly. My silkies are a white pair and a blue pair. I need to keep this in mind though because your bou is one of my favorites right now 😍

Darn it lol I was hoping for hen 😂 but still going to try to get it better. Maybe it will fit in with the other roosters. It is with some other chicks it’s age and they have a separate pen inside the coop and outside so they aren’t getting picked on by the older hens. Would mareks only show up in one chick? Also we didn’t add any new chickens minus the eggs we hatched from our own.
Yes. Most chicks are vaccinated against it but a small percentage can still receive it

Back
Top Bottom