Help with silkies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DK, Oct 11, 2009.

1. DK

DK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Bangor Alabama
    I have a silkies that one side of her head is swollen up with a lump under her eye the eye is watering a lot and there is a curst around it. And she has yellow suff running out her nose.I had a bantam cochin about two week ago that had the same thing.Has anyone seen this before? DK

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    First, make to separate any sick birds from the rest to prevent the spread of disease. If you pick her up and smell her face and if it smells rotten, it probably Coryza. If not, it probably something respiratory. Treat it with the recommended dosage of antibotics and you may want to use some VetRX.

3. DK

DK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Bangor Alabama
    her face smells rotten. I have some terramycin will that work for coryza. DK

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

See this thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=233488&p=1

Coryza is not curable and the chickens will be carriers for life. ANY chicken that comes near them will get it. THE only way to cure coryza is to cull every bird that has come in contact with sick ones and disinfect EVERYTHING and start over.

I would do as MandyH suggested.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by