Help with Silkies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amelia208, Jan 4, 2011.

1. amelia208

amelia208 New Egg

Jan 4, 2011
    Hello everyone. I am hoping someone may be able to help. I noticed a couple of weeks ago my 5-6month old Silkie started to scratch her ears and look like shes yawning. The yawning didn't concern me because she didn't do it very often. She's been fine otherwise. She eats nomally and has the same amount of energy as she usually does. She does not have runny poop. What did concern me was this morning while I was watching my group of Silkies (5 total). They all seem to be doing the same thing. After reading up I noticed people talking about Gapeworm. I checked their throats and didn't see anything. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong and if so how to medicate? Thanks so much!

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Chances are nothing is wrong. I see my birds do this all the time, and I think its that they are moving food down from crop to gizzard. Check their crests and around head and ears for signs of mites. In Silkies, mites are generally not found on the rear end (can be) but most of the time, the mites gather around the top of head.

3. amelia208

amelia208 New Egg

Jan 4, 2011
    Thanks. That makes me feel better : ) I am new to Silkies so I'm still learning. I checked for mites and didn't see anything. Do you medicate or give yours anything special to prevent mites? Thanks for your help.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can buy poultry dust at the feed store (permethrin) to put in an old sock or stocking, shake it under wings, vent area, and everywhere except the face.

Then retreat in 10 days. That should take care of it if it is a mite infestation starting. You can also use Sevin dust 5% in the garden section. You can do a search on BYC for these two chemicals.

Make sure you take precautions- long sleeves, face mask, take a shower afterward. Don't breathe in these chemicals.

My chickens shake their heads several times a minute (with NO visible mites on them) every time their Northern Fowl Mite load gets bad enough. (I identified the bug when I found one on ME.) I use the Sevin dust. Poof. Gone! [​IMG]

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    This website is good for reading.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/prozap-poultry-garden-dust/camid/LIV/cp/LE-S1/cn/3504/
    here is the dust- also sold at McMurray Hatchery's website or feed store (where I got mine)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  5. amelia208

amelia208 New Egg

Jan 4, 2011
    I know this sounds dumb but are mites pretty visible? When I looked I didn't see anything but I also don't exactly know what to look for:) Do you use seven dust just like you would the permethrin? Thanks [​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I have NEVER seen the northern fowl mite on my chickens, try as I might. But I found them on me, biting my sides, making me itch when I held my chickens. The last straw was when I saw one on my bathroom floor!

Needless to say, there are NONE in my house now. That seven dust works wonders, and you use it just like permethrin. I believe the permethrin is supposed to be less toxic, but I don't know. I think there was some discussion about removing seven dust from the chicken approved medications- but if you look at ohioline (the website I gave you) you can see they still recommend it. Also note at the bottom of the webpage is a description of what to look for.

Very important to retreat! You might need to do it once a week until gone- it depends. I treated my chickens in Sept., then again in Dec.

I used Eprinex Pour on the first time too.

Here is info. on gapeworm: (scroll down)
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm
    I don't have experience with gapeworm.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by