Help with Silkies -

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RedBrush Farm, Jul 15, 2011.

1. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Went to a livestock auction and came home with 2 Silkie Hens. One is white, the other black. I know nothing about them but they are so beautiful. I know I will need to get a Rooster. My question is how much space do they need? Can they stay in my hanging pens in an area of 3ft. x 3ft. at night and have them in a yard pen during the day? I know they can not fly so I was wanting to use a portable pen to let them outside in the day and put them up where they are safe at night. Also, are there any specific food requirements? I also purchased Seabright Bantams. I have one male and one female. They came with 4 other bantams but they are speckled black and white? I will post pictures of them later to see if anyone knows what they are. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks -

(also a prayer may be in order as my husband does not yet know that I have come home with yet another "set" of chickens:cd)

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I know someone who has these two breeds exclusively and she gives them both a little extrs protein than the other chickens. But she is into showing too.

You are right in that silkies probably shouldnt be with the general population of chickens. I keep mine on plenty of wood shavings. At least 2 inches thick if not more. A hanging cage seems like a temporary solution but I wouldnt want to sdo that to them for ever. For 2 silkies a 3X4 would be ok. During the day silkies like to scratch and roll in the dirt and run around just like other chickens, but watch so they dont get bullied and they can be easy prey for hawks and other animals. A covered pen is ideal. They can be put in a smaller area than large fowl chickens as they really dont need to roam as much, but they should have adequate space to still be chickens.

3. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks for the information - I do plan to have them outside during the day. I have Rhode Island Reds and Austrolops and they are quite large so I want to keep them away from each other. I have other larger cages I can move them into. Should I put down paper and shavings in the wire pen so they do not hurt their feet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by