Help With Slaughter! Desperate! He's dead now, Sankyoo

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Rin, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Have roo strung up, was prepared to snip his artery as suggested... can't find it... snipped off his feathers... completely shaved his beard... what am I looking for? The poor guy is hanging upside down waiting for me to figure this out! I tried just /snipping/ at the esophagus and it barely knicked his skin he only bled a little... like a paper cut [​IMG]'

And when I google nothing comes up like maybe a picture of the skin where it's located? I don't like prolonging his suffering like this!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Just snip the whole thing. If you can't find his artery, you need to just cut the whole thing, rather than "looking" for it.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ahhh! i dont know...
    Heres a bump though..

4. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:ON IT BETTER THAN NOTHING

5. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I would just cut the whole thing.. Thats what I do. Just make sure your item is sharp.

6. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    feel for his Jaw, slice just below the jaw on each side. Making two slices so as to avoid cutting his esophagus. But if you cut the esophagus no worries.... this is your first time. Make sure your knife is really sharp. And watch out if you don't have him in a cone those wings are going to flap. Take a deap breath... that frist time is tough I know... I'm thinking of you!

7. Show Me Chick

Show Me Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    I'm coming over for dinner! [​IMG]

8. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Hopefully, I'm too late and you're done already, but we just chop the whole head off with one blow then hang them up to bleed.
    Prior to the chopping it's a pulled neck, by which time they are dead (or at least completely unresponsive) anyways, but the head off bit makes it certain.

They'll flap even without the head on.

9. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Whoever said it gets easier is a liar. This is the second try and it was just as aweful as the first - I bought brand new poultry shears thinking they could do it but no. [​IMG] They couldn't.

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm sorry it didn't go well. I have only used shears on chicks, and a hatchet or axe on adults... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by