Help with sloping run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Southern Gardener, May 1, 2009.

1. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    My new run slopes to the right towards the coop if you can tell in the picture. I'm concerned about the soil washing away after the chickens have eaten the grass. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep it from washing?

Thanks!
    Joan

[​IMG]

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    That little of a slope will not pose any problems.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I think you will not have any problem, but incase you want extra protection, you can buy siltfence, (it is black cloth wit wood sticks ) and install it on the higher side of the run, it will slow the water, and on the lower part of the run it will prevent the soil of getting out to the grass.

4. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    If you're paranoid about it, just install a french drain along the top of the run do divert any water flow to the side where there'd still be grass.. At least you won't be looking at an ugly black cloth silt fence.. [​IMG]

5. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Not really paranoid, just a little concerned. Where my run was before the soil did wash and the chickens exposed the roots of my maple tree. No tree in the run this time though.

Thanks Omran, but I don't think a silt fence will work for me. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I agree with you 100% I totaly forgot about that, shamee on meand I do that for living [​IMG]. I think my mind was some where else. [​IMG]

7. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    LOL... Sometimes one forgets the ascetic touches if one grows accustom to thinking about utilitarianism. Chickens are so utilitarian at time it's hard to think of pretty ways of doing things as apposed to the standard "just get it done and make it work". [​IMG]

8. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Well, I hate to tell you, but I'm all for pretty and cute! My dad keeps telling me "it's just a chicken coop." Yeah, but it's got to be cute!!! [​IMG]

9. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    I wouldn't be building a dormer, copula and rooster weather vane.

Yeah... Cute is good..... [​IMG]

10. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:Well, your coop looks like it's going to be pretty darn cute! I like the door.

I'm going to use windows and a door that was used in my grandmothers old house that was torn down several years ago. The windows need a little repairing though. No dormers, copula or rooster weather vane for me . . . yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by