help with stray kitten health problems

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jessejames, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jessejames

jessejames Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    forest ontario canada
    so last yesterday i got steve a stray i picked up on the rez down the road from my farm. he was runnin with a herd of semi feral kittens on the beach actually the same beach my puppy came from in the spring.

so after letting him get acclimatized a abit i gave him a good going over this morning. i should say her i am not sure yet of it sex i have just always called my cats steve regardless.

while looking him over i found what i thought to be a dead tick by its ear but when i tried to remove all i did was pull the scab off and there is still a bloody tendril coming from out of his head as well as some pussy yellow discharge by the base of the ear.
    also on a loonie or 50 cent piece size of its neck there is some of the same pussy stuff and some irritation and no hair.

her are the best pics i could get.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

otherwise it seems to be a pretty content cat it is eating and drinking purring and hidding out as you would expect of a cat to new to its enviroment.

any ideas or treatments yall can recommend

thanks

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The pics. are difficult to see what the problem is. If there's pus, then there was some kind of trauma, but who knows what??? Wash it off well with a mild soap, and if you have any anti bacterial cream that would be great. Depending on what you're willing to invest in the kitten, you probably should take it to a vet to get an evaluation. But if not, then I think there's a good chance it will heal simply by being kept clean and some kind of topical cream... Good luck w/ the kitty...

3. jessejames

jessejames Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    forest ontario canada
    so in the first 2 pics that red thing is actually sticking out of its head like a pin in a cushion. as for the neck irritation i will clean and apply some cream in the morning.
    its a matter of baby steps with this kitty. i am just not sure if i should just cut the long thing off or try to pull it out even more than i have already.
    a vet trip is not in this kitties future except to get fixed when it comes to age.
    thanks

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Hmmm....well that's kind of gross, that the red thing is sticking up and out...I didn't understand that part before. I would leave it if the kitten's not bothering it, and just watch to see whether it dries up or whatever. Whatever cream you put on the other site couldn't hurt that thing either, I wouldn't think. It may not help either, but it's worth a try... Once more...good luck!!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I see ear mites possibly, as well as abcesses. Go for gentle cleaning 2 x daily with Betadine if you have it, peroxide if you don't, followed by triple antibiotic ointment. Warning about both Betadine and peroxide- they sting, you will have a wildcat for a while. With that abcess on the neck a systemic antibiotic like Amoxycillin would be great.

I'd leave the ear thing as it is, just clean and treat for now. It may well fall off as it heals. The trust is more important right now. Do keep the kitten away from other cats, as well as dogs and people until it is 100% healthy.

Also, if you hold the kitty up with the south end facing you? A male will look like : , a female will look like an upside down ! .

6. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Angels of Assissi will do work on it for free if you say it's a feral cat. It should probably be looked at. If not, it will probably be ok with some real TLC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by