Help with stubborn chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Israels, May 20, 2016.

1. Israels

Israels Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Hello all, so my new chicken insists on laying her eggs on the ground even though she has 2 different type of nest boxes to choose from. I would like to let her sit on the eggs and hatch them but the place she chose is a corner of the cage that gets wet when it rains so I don't think that would be a good spot. I tried moving her first egg to a box hoping she would continue to lay there but had no luck. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks in asvance

2. Israels

Apr 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chickens are creatures of habit, so you need to break the habit of laying outside on the ground. Cooping her up in the coop for several days will deprive her of her bad habit and hopefully, get her used to laying in a nest box.

Once she's gotten into the habit of laying in a nest box, you can try letting her out of the coop. But the minute she starts laying eggs on the ground, you need to coop her up again.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers.

Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.

Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay.

They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon.

You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

5. Israels

Apr 19, 2016
    thanks guys, I dont really have a a coop to confine her too, but ill give the fake eggs a try and see what happens. Worst case scenario i may try to fence her off in a smaller part of the cage or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by