help with suddenly no eggs from most my chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littlechickies, Oct 31, 2013.

1. littlechickies

littlechickies Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2013
    about 2 months ago I purchased 3 hens, two marans and one silkie. They are now intergrated with my flow and getting along fine but no eggs from them. I also had 3 easter eggs and one bantam in the original flock who were laying an egg a day. Now the only one laying is the bantam and she lays an egg everyday (one day she laid 2). I know it is getting late in the year and I figured they would slow down but not just stop completely. should I be worried?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    They could be molting. I haven't seen an egg in a month and a half from my flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. littlechickies

littlechickies Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2013
    do you think it will be spring til they lay again? we are just getting 12 hrs of light approx. this is my first year.

4. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    It can depend on a few things such as breed and hours of light. Some breeds don't lay barely anything during winter and some barely slow down. If they are molting they won't lay until they have fully finished. I would put a light in and give them at least 16 hours of light a day. They should begin laying with a month or two from when they first started molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by