Help with Svart Hona Genetics

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Kindercare, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Kindercare

Kindercare Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    All,

I am trying to figure out the genetics of my Svart Hona rooster. The only other breed I keep are Buff Orpingtons, so I let a broody hatch a clutch of Svart roo x Buff hen chicks.

I got 4 chicks (photos below). Two are now starting to feather out and I am trying to figure out the genetics. Anyone an expert in feather pattern that could weigh in?

Chick #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 (died or was rejected early on). Same pattern as chick #1 but with light colored legs instead of black
    [​IMG]

Chicks #3 and #4 both look like this:
    [​IMG]

Here they are starting to feather out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is my thinking on genetics so far:

Svart roo:
    E/e+, S/S. Fm/Fm, i+/i+, id+/id+

And my buffs are:
    e^Wh/e+?, Co/Co, Db/Db, Di/Di, Mh/Mh, s+/-, I/I+ (het dominant white), and Id/- (caused the light colored legs on the chick that died?)

But what is the patterning on the feathers on both the grey and white chicks?

The white chick has some kind of zig-zag barring with white feather tips. The grey chick has grey tips with tiny dots further up the feather and white tips on the neck/back feathers (hard to see in the picture). That must mean that my Svart roo has patterning under his all black feathers. My understanding is that buff orpingtons don't carry pattern genes. Any guesses?

More info on this thread on Svart / Buff crosses:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1032117/svart-hona-x-buff-orpington/20

Thanks!

2. Kindercare

Apr 18, 2016
    After more research, it seems like the following might be the answer. Interestingly, this creates sex-link chicks where males with white down have light colored legs and females have dark legs.

Svart roo:
    E/e+, co+/co+, Ml/Ml, Pg/Pg, db+/db+, di+/di+, mh+/mh+, S/S. Fm/Fm, i+/i+, id+/id+

And my buffs are:
    e^Wh/e^wh, Co/Co, ml+/ml+, pg+/pg+, Db/Db, Di/Di, Mh/Mh, s+/-, fm+/fm+, and Id/-

3. Kindercare

Apr 18, 2016
    After watching these chick grow out, I've decided that Svart Honas are more likely to be Birchen (E^R) based than E (extended black based)

Here is my revised genetics guess:

My svart roo:
    E^R/e+, co+/co+, Ml/Ml, Pg/Pg (or Pg/pg+ or even pg+/pg+), db+/db+, di+/di+, mh+/mh+, S/S. Fm/Fm, i+/i+, id+/id+

And my buffs::
    e^Wh/e^wh, Co/Co, ml+/ml+, pg+/pg+, Db/Db, Di/Di, Mh/Mh, s+/-, fm+/fm+, and Id/-

Here are the cross pictures @ 6 weeks:

E^R / eWh
    [​IMG]

e+ / eWh

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Amazing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by