Help with Teenage son!!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by triplebfarm, Mar 22, 2009.

1. triplebfarm

triplebfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Sweetwater, Tennessee
    My 13 year old son enjoys raising black sex link chickens. He currently has 8 hens that are a little old for his liking. He told me the other day that he wanted some new chicks so he start start fresh with his flock, so he asked me to call my friend to see if he would buy his old hens. My friend said he would, but my son has chnged his mind twice!!! Now my friend is on his way to pick them up....should my son hold up his end of the bargain or be allowed to change his mind. I say he should sell them since he made an agreement. Any suggestions?!!

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Sorry... just my opinion. He's made a decision, he should stick with it. But then I probably dont have any room to talk cause I dont have kids. On the other hand, I'd be a little PO'd if I was the guy driving to pick them up, specially on my sunday afternoon.

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I would say he needs to keep the bargin. He will be fine once he gets his new chicks!![​IMG]

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Hi,
    It is up to you, but I would say sell he should them, use his money to buy some new chicks.

5. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Ultimately, it's up to you. However, here a chance for one of life's lessons. Your son has already told your friend that he could buy them and now the friend is on the way to get them. I'm sure your friend's time is valuable to them. I'd sell them. [​IMG] It's not fair to your friend and we are talking about a child who is old enough to know right from wrong. [​IMG]

6. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    If the person is on their way to get the hens, then he should stick to his decission to sell them.

7. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I have a teenager, a bit older. But he should have made the phone call once he made the decision. Having the child make the call creates more reality, IMO. Yes, you really called and said to come get the hens...

Now that the call has been made he needs to cowboy up and stick with his deal.

8. PamsPride

PamsPride Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    OHIO
    Make him keep his word. It will make him think about future decisions more and be less likely to make impulsive decisions. Also your friend has gone to the trouble to come over and get them he needs to have respect for other peoples time.
    Plus he will be getting new birds!

9. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    If I did that, mom would make me keep the deal and if I gave her any crap about it, she'd tell me NO MORE chickens.

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Also, having new chicks will mix things up, and he will be able to learn the different breeds and the ways other breeds act.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by