1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with temp in new bator!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigspringshatchery, Oct 30, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I ordered a new hova bator and it came in yesterday. It's the model with the fan. I'm having probs with my temp. I had to set it up wrong. I set it up last night and this morning it was 115. And I turned it down all the way I could before I left for work this morning. I threaded the screw thru the hole and screwed the wafer on. But I just don't know if I did everything right. What could I have done wrong?

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I just went to the GQF site and looked at the instructions to set up the wafer thermostat here.
    https://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/Thermal%20Hova-Bator%20%20instructions.pdf
    It
    seems to me that they should tell you that after you thread the wafer on the sctew to turn the screw clockwise till you hear a click. Then turn it counterclockwise till the light comes on, then CCW 4 turns and then fine tune as needed.
    It is possible that the wafer has been damaged by being overheated. I have seen instructions warning not to exceed 110 degrees as damage to the wafer might occur.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  3. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    My light was never off. I did it 2 times last night and both times the light was already on. So I'm not sure if it ever knocked off.

4. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    And how would I know if it is messed up?

5. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    Quote:Here's my 2 cents!!!

6. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I just redid it and it's around 100. I just put my digital one in there and will check it tonight.

7. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    It takes a little patience to get it right but make small adjustments and try to keep the room it's in at a steady temperature. This is the first time I use a bator so I'm still learning but it works so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by