Help with the blues...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 2, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Can the color blue be hidden? I was under the impression that it showed, period, but I've got someone arguing with me about this.

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    No, the color blue cannot be hidden. Either a bird shows blue or it doesn't, period. Now, please keep in mind that some Blues can actually be so dark that they appear black, could this maybe what someone is talking about? A blue bird that appears black would be very hard to distinguish from a black bird and if a person was unknowing about the blue and thinking the bird is really black and got blue babies out of the deal somewhere, I could see why they may think that Blue can hide. Again, the blue gene cannot hide. In order to produce blue or splash birds a blue bird must be in the mix. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:That's what I'd said, but then this person asked me if that were the case, where did those come from if he had no blues in his flock. So I was wondering if other colors (red, white, etc.) could maybe 'hide' blue. I'm thinking that this person had some very dark blues that he mistook for black, which is what I told him. Just wanted to double-check myself.

4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Yes, I was told the same thing. Some blues are so dark that they look black. I have 2 blue mottleds that came from a flock of black mottleds. Apparently one of the blacks is actually a dark blue..........I love the blue mottled so it makes me happy but it sure was confusing when they started popping out! LOL

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Do realize that white can and does hide blue, though; recessive white in two copies hides all feather pigment present in the bird; dominant white in one copy hides black pigment (and its dilutions); in tow copies also hides red pigment.

6. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I have a Blue Copper Marans roo that is soo dark for months and months I thought he was black, but as time has gone by (he is 1.5 years old now) he has slowly shown his true colors, but is still very dark. The only way to know for certain is to cross the suspected dark blue to a genetically black bird (for example, barred rocks are genetically black birds) and if blue babies come from that cross the dark blue that appears black is really blue.

Here is an example of a VERY DARK BLUE bird. This is my Bill.

4 mos old. Notice how completely black he appears?

[​IMG]

Not the best photo of him but this is at approx. 6-7 mos old, see how he just doesn't really look black anymore.

[​IMG]

This is Bill just a couple of months ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just for comparison, this is another one of my Blue Copper roos that is much more the normal color of blue that is seen.
    [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Is that the only one? Well, two, rather?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

The only ones I can think of this early in the morning, lol.

9. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I totally forgot about white because I don't work with white and I have tunnel vision from time to time. Thanks for posting that Sonoran!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

The only ones I can think of this early in the morning, lol.

Go get your coffee and think about it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by