1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with the breed on this big boy, please??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EmbarkGuru, Aug 20, 2013.

1. EmbarkGuru

EmbarkGuru New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    We took this big boy off the hands of a friend that couldn't keep him. What I know is that they bought him at a home/ranch store in Apr 2013 and he was sold as a pullet. So that puts him around 4-5 months old. They told me he was 4 months when I picked him up about 3 weeks ago. I can't tell if he's a buckeye, redcap (don't really think so) or a malay (my suspicion) Here are a few photos I took today, the girls in the background are 2 month old EEs for size reference. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Gaack! He doesn't look like anything from my feed store!

[​IMG] to see what others come up with.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He looks like either a Malay, Shamo, or Asil. These three breeds look VERY similar to each other, so I'm not certain. Personally, I'm leaning towards him being an Asil (also called an Aseel). Here is a photo of an Asil from Feathersite.com:

[​IMG]

Malays just seem a little too "leggy" for him to be one, and I think that they are rarer:

[​IMG]

Shamos are another possibility.

[​IMG]

As you can see, all three breeds look very similar! He's obviously one of the three breeds, but I don't know which.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'd say he's an Asil. Malays have longer legs, and Shamos are overall leaner with a higher profile.

6. EmbarkGuru

EmbarkGuru New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    Thank you for the input! I'll look up some info on the asil and see what I can learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by